Ofiices for the Town of Colesville are located in the Town Hall at 780 Welton Street, Harpursville, NY. The Town Garage is located across the street from the Town Hall.
The Town of Colesville lies in the northeast part of Broome County and is bounded on the north by Chenango County, on the east by the Town of Sanford, on the south by the Town of Windsor, and on the west by the Towns of Kirkwood and Fenton. The town was formed on April 3, 1821, from the Town of Windsor. Harpursville is the largest hamlet in the town although it is not incorporated.
Colesville derives its name from pioneer Nathaniel Cole, a revolutionary soldier. He settled here in 1795, on a hill south of Harpursville, known as Coles Hill. He built a tavern there which was in operation as early as 1800. It was the first tavern between Albany and Binghamton.
Broome County's Nathaniel Cole Park was opened in the town in 1974 and is located about two miles from the site of its namesake's tavern.